Sugar Skulls Agnes Top

I have liked the look of the Tilly and the Buttons Agnes top since it was released but didn’t get round to buying it until I was at the Knitting and Stitching Show a couple of weeks ago.

I thought about buying it while I was chatting to the girls on the stand, but it was only when I spotted the perfect fabric over at Fabrics Galore, that I headed back over to buy the pattern too.

sugar skull fabric

I made it up last weekend and absolutely love it! I only regret waiting so long to buy it!

The pattern itself is a pretty easy make – just a front and back piece, two sleeves and the neckband and I managed to get it out of under a metre of fabric.

Due to SWT (sewing when tired!) I made the very silly mistake of cutting out two back pieces, instead of a back and a front, but fortunately, the front piece fits neatly inside the back piece so crisis averted!!

disaster averted

As the fabric edges were quite wavy, I used the design to line up the grain line and that worked really well. I used the upside down heart noses on the sugar skulls as a guide!

I cut out a size 2, as that was closest to my measurements, and as I wasn’t sure of the fit, I sewed it using the stretch stitch on my sewing machine and overlocking the edges, but next time, I will go straight to the overlocker.

Pretty insides

I chose to go with the plain sleeves on this occasion, as I thought that would show off the fabric better, but I went for the ruched neckline, as I think it is super flattering and adds some interest. I did this using the same clear elastic that I had used to stabilise the shoulder seams.

neckline

I didn’t make any changes to the pattern and I think it turned out really well. I used a narrow zig zag on the cuffs and hems, as I didn’t have enough thread for twin needling!

I did try out some stretch knit stay tape that I bought to prevent wavy hems but it didn’t work out as expected, as it actually removed all of the stretch from the fabric, meaning the cuffs hardly fit over my hands. I decided instead to remove it altogether and it worked out fine without it.

I can’t wait to make some more Agnes tops, as they are perfect for layering underneath dungarees or tucking into skirts.

I am currently making an Agnes top hack for a Moulin Rouge theme costume from a burgundy stretch velvet. I am going to use a matching stretch lace to create capped sleeves and will shorten the bodice as I will be wearing an underbust corset over it. I will share more pictures of that one once the outfit is complete.

Velvet Agnes

I can also see it working nicely as a dress, so will be on the look out for some suitable fabric for that.

If you haven’t tried it already, you should definitely give this one a go!

Agnes top

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *