Sagebrush top – pattern review

Even though the pattern was released last year, it’s only recently that the Friday Pattern Company Sagebrush top has really caught my eye enough to make it to the top of my sewing to do list!

It’s a pretty and wearable blouse with a breezy fit and gorgeous puff sleeves.

I decided to make mine from one of our Rifle Paper Co rayons as they are an absolute joy to work with – they behave more like cotton lawns, than slippery rayons. I used the mint colourway and decided to add a contrast ruffle with our Pink Viscose Twill.

I did contemplate using the pink for a contrast neckband and tie but I’m really glad I chose not too as it might have been a bit too much and I really love the subtle detail of the pink ruffle.

The pattern instructions are easy to follow and I think it is the kind of thing that you could sew up in an afternoon.

When cutting the fabric out, you need to cut the neck tie on the bias and it really does mean that on a narrow fabric, you might have quite a bit of wastage. One way to reduce that is to piece the neck tie together. I did mine in two pieces but made sure the join wasn’t in the centre, as that would end up right in the centre of the neckline. I offset my join to the side seam and it is virtually invisible.

It is important to note that the pattern instructions ask you to cut this out on the flat – ie without the fabric being folded. This means that you will either need to draw around your bodice/yolk front and back pieces and flip them over and do the same, or you can fold smaller sections of the fabric over a bit at a time to cut them on the fold.

The only change I made to the pattern was to make a one inch hem, rather than a two inch one, using my trusty Prym Seam Gauge to make it easy and accurate. I’m really happy with the length and can wear it loose or tucked in. I think I’ll wear it a lot tucked in to jeans.

I think you could do a lot to change the pattern – you could extend it to make a loose flowy dress or change up the sleeves if you omitted the elastic or even use a lightweight cotton jersey instead of a woven fabric.

I also made a matching mask and hair scrunchie from my precsious scraps!

Suitable fabrics for the Sagebrush would be rayons, cotton lawns or cotton viscose blends.

I already have my second version cut out of this beautiful cotton lawn ready to sew this weekend!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *