I wasn’t as immediately taken with this one as I am not that much of a fan of boxy silhouettes on me – being petite, I think it is easy to get drowned by them. I had seen lots of lovely versions on Instagram though and when this lovely Poppy Array cotton poplin came in to the shop, I knew it would be the perfect fabric. It is structured enough to hold it’s shape but still has some movement to it.
I have never regretted putting pockets into a dress but I definitely have regretted not adding pockets so I added some side seam pockets to my Stevie. To do this, I used the pocket pattern piece from the Myosotis dress as it was the nearest one to hand, and measured down 6cm from the waist notch and marked that as the placement for the top of each pocket piece on the front and back pieces.
I also added the top pocket as I wanted to add one of these gorgeous flower buttons as is goes so nicely with the fabric. I just created a buttonhole before I attached the pocket to the front of the dress.
I decided to add some matching ribbon for the tie as I thought ties in the same fabric might be a bit too stiff. I’m really pleased that I did as I think it gives it a lovely pop of colour.
I really love how the facings are topstitched down – this prevents them from flapping about and getting in the way!
I also decided to run a line of topstitching around the edges of the cuffs to keep them in place and prevent the overlocking showing.
I was worried about it being too short but I think it comes out at just the right length on me – had I not been 5’2, I would have added a couple of inches on to the length.
My measurements put me between the size 1 and 2 but I decided to go for the size 2 – I could comfortably make it in the size 1 next time though as there is lots of ease.
All in all, it was a pretty quick make – it only took 2 hours to sew up.
Even though the shape is very loose on me, I think it is great for hot summer days and it can also be synched in with a belt if I feel like it. I love the combination of the simple shape with the print of the fabric and I’m really pleased with my embellishments.
I am actually keen to make a Stevie top in a rayon or maybe this lovely Cupro to see how it looks in a drapier fabric.